Skip to main content

A Ghostly Surveillance for Floccinaucinihilpilification

Sound asleep
Or so I thought,
Until right then when
I was brought awake and shaken,

Stirred. It was like cold lightning,
A chilling surprise
When I saw a phantasm
Before my eyes.

An austere spectre
Gazing at me
Reached into my bleary soul,
Addressing and assessing all of

All that was me. And in a second
It fused with the all, the all of me.
Part to whole, we were all,
My being became synecdoche.

It was like a paramour
Inside me, incandescent, searching,
Finding all the chinks
In my soul-china.

“I got that one
From my mother's mother,”
I told it, wearily.
Years had passed, maybe twenty.

It stopped looking at the pieces
Shelved on my life-hutch.
This ghost dug in deeper,
Like a tick with pride.

It grabbed the wheel.
Swerving this way,
Veering that, looking
For all my alley cats now.

It found the reigns
Inside my bones
And cantered toward
That softer place.

That space where struggle
Comes to rest
And in me that vision
It said its prayers.

“Hallelujah,” it whispered
In me, quietly, peacefully in awe.
For it found a flaw
Behind all my chamber doors.

And on its
Wispy knees it cried, “She is human.
After all. And maybe there's still something
Something here.” Casting out, reeling in,

It fished in my
Heart-sea and caught that
Meaning was in vogue.
And then, with respectful reticence

Left my abode.

This esoteric experience
Wrung me dry,
And in somnolence
Both ghost and I fell

Back to sleep.
Only to wake
Again and again,
Hallelujah.

--

Mad Words List 5.29.18


Veer
Incandescent
Bleary
Chink
Swerved
Austere
Canter
Phantasm / Phantasmagorical
Spectre
Vogue
Paramour
Synecdoche
Esoteric
Floccinaucinihilipilification
Somnolence

--

A few thoughts on this one today. In the first one is about tempo. When you're writing poetry, there's a lot that plays into how fast or slow the poem is read. The line structure, your word choices and use of assonance and consonance, punctuation, and even meter if you choose to use one. For some reason I wanted to write a faster poem today and so I chose shorter lines.

Anytime I think of fast-written poetry, I think of Edgar Allan Poe. His ways of getting a line to flow with a fast current is fairly well done in my opinion and his works always seem to have a rhythm that is memorable.

Secondly this poem reaches back to the themes of Toward Harmonia. Of meaning, of purpose, and introspection. But also how it's very human to be flawed. Flaws are almost something that, without them, life would cease to move. Our ability to see flaws and work towards something better encourages change. And sometimes we need to change to survive (being able to understand that something is wrong or dangerous has helped keep humans alive more than we like to admit to an extent) or to learn something about ourselves as human beings. But it's important not to get hung up on flaws as bad things but to look at them as room to grow. So with each new day we find new ways to overcome and if we allow this ghost to represent the past or introspection, let it see and let it rest. There is purpose in who you uniquely are and what you personally do, and it's something to keep you going.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yins and Yangs

Just this minute, the white-tailed Magpies are finding themselves In the verdant glades of the Rockies, As the aspens, fresh green, quake in the wind. They know nothing of Jon Snow, Or the window on the second floor Where I look out, remembering, Longing for apricity, the sun on my face. But the gloam is settling in, And the magpies will soon be seeking Windows of their own To look out of. And I think the shadows on my page Are cast like dark rainbows - made of light And things in the way. Awe-inspiring shapes I couldn't see in the dark. Is it best to be inside or Outside? Or can I be moved To appreciate this Pedulumic cycle - To be tossed, fro and to, Between creation and decay, Between sunrise and Sunset? Do you feel the loam in your hands, How rich it is when you dig deeper? Do you admire how perfectly The lilac blossom, with its powerful redolence, Seeks your attention as if to say, "Stay outside for a while." As my colleague yamm

Bonus Poem: Peonies in a Paper Bag

Out of the earth, stems cut, And into the glass. A spectacle, a marvel, A reminder of the Outside, placed inside. They dazzled for days And then one by one They drooped, stooped over the Cold, round edge of the Vase, reaching for the door. And she said, "It's time, These must go. They might delight a few more Days, but no! Look at this Single one limping. They must Go." And into that brown bag They were buried, without ceremony Or song, amid napkins and other plastic Horribles. And that's how I found them. Heartbroken, Ruffled like goose feathers, Waiting to be taken out Again. To feel the air, Even if it would be among The dead and uncompostables, let their feathers Rest back into the earth They were clipped from. "Let us wilt in the place We call home," they said. And I just wanted to caress One - its soft, pink goose feathers - And tell it that it was the Most beautiful thing I had Seen all day. The most beautiful refuse,

Wisteria Vines

Sometimes I have to remember How gently the wisteria trees Sway in a sunshower. How the gossamers built with patience Must sometimes be built again, And again, and again without complaint. I have to listen for the laughter The one you'd almost miss if you were Too worried about the symmetry of the seams On the dress your mother sewed And you re-sowed. “Be at ease.” That lithe voice whispered, smiling. I imagine there on the front porch A child with golden hair and Sapphire eyes, planting a huge basium On the family pup’s nose, and they both Turn shyly and grin at my future. “Mommy, let's play,” she says, and I know it's everything. Everything I ever wanted. To play. To delight In words dancing on pages and Make the dirt at my feet into ballrooms. “It's not a tempest, my dear, only A little rain, swaying the wisteria Blooms.” My mother again holds my hand. The hand that would one day Write about what howl